Monday, June 17, 2019

Review: Before the Fall

Before the Fall Before the Fall by Noah Hawley
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

A private plane crashes. A very prominent and well-respected family is on the plane as well as a few other people. Investigations. Two people survive the wreck. The youngest member of the family and an artist that the wife had invited to join them. An investigation goes underway making everybody on the plate, deceased and alive, a suspect. They must not only find out what happened but find the bodies as well.
I really enjoyed this book much more than I thought I would. I’m the type of person that goes into a book without reading anything about it first if I can help it. I feel it helps me enjoy the story more. Every now and then I will concoct my own theories about the book and determine if they are correct as I read. It’s quite a fun thing to do. I recommend it. I can honestly say I was wrong about this book. In the best ways possible!
I’m on the fence about my feelings about the characters. In ways, they are passionate and very interesting beings. On the other, they can come off as robotic and kind of bland. Some of the characters play too much of a role in the background than they should have. All in all, I can’t say I felt a full connection with any of the characters. I did connect very well to the story though.
The narrator did a very decent job as well. I can’t say I developed a deeper emotional connection due to his narration. But he did give some depth to the story. I have no complaints about his narration. I may even seek out some of his other works. Time shall tell.
I really enjoyed this story. There was a part that made me sad that I won’t speculate on openly as I do not want to ruin the story for the reader. But it was expected from the very beginning. This story was very inspirational. It was also very frustrating as well. Just because of the speculations that went on through the book that I also won’t repeat due to spoilers. I do fully recommend this book. I enjoyed it very much.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment