Thursday, October 17, 2019

Review: Blocked

Blocked Blocked by Elise Faber
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Brit is an amazing goalie for a hockey team. She gets targeted for a hazing that turns violent. When she finally gets the courage to report the incident, it's handled by kicking her off the team. She finds herself on a better team, but the incident follows her. She's blackmailed into doing something that doesn't make her comfortable at all.

I really enjoyed this story very much. It was inspiring. I'm not sure I could call myself a hockey fan. I'm enamored with reading about it. In both fiction and non-fiction. I just don't think I could actually watch a game. But I digress. It's hard not to get pulled into this story and want the best for all the good guys. Even if it can be a bit cheesy and predictable at times.

Brit is this amazingly fierce woman She doesn't seem to realize it about herself, but it's true. She survived something that no woman should ever have to go through and kept going. She didn't let it hold her back. Yes, she lived with fear, but she faced those fears every day. Steffan was a pretty amazing person as well. He may be rough around the edges, but he means well. I'd of loved to see more of Brit's brother and Steffan's mom. They were both pretty amazing as well.

The narrators were fantastic. I have listened to other books by Lacy Laurel, but I'm not sure if I've heard anything narrated by Gregory Salinas. Either way, both narrators were amazing. I can honestly say Lacy has become one of my favorite narrators. She just has this quirky tone that I adore. As for Gregory, I love his voice. I can't describe it without sounding like I'm insulting it. But it's just... alluring.

If I were to have judged a book by its cover, I wouldn't have picked this book up. Don't get me wrong. The cover is absolutely amazing. It just doesn't seem like it would be my type of book. Either way, I was curious so I read it. And trust me when I say, I'm glad I did. There were parts that I found very cheesy. There are some overplayed troupes in here as well. The book is still great. And honestly, troupes are a thing for a reason. They work.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment