Friday, February 14, 2020

Review: The Woman in the Camphor Trunk

The Woman in the Camphor Trunk The Woman in the Camphor Trunk by Jennifer Kincheloe
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Anna is no longer wealthy. Her father has disowned her and completely cut her off. She finds herself struggling to pay for things herself and eat properly. She's thankful that she's been allowed to work as a matron again despite everything coming out in the open about who she really is. Shortly after she returns, she uncovers a great murder mystery and finds herself determined to solve the case.

I really do love these stories. They are realistic to the time being spoken about. There are no liberties taken just because times are different now. I like that. If we cover up or rewrite history, we won't learn from it, but I digress. This book is very action-packed. I can't say I really enjoyed the beginning of the book. It was a bit of a sloppy start for me. The rest of the book made up for that in my opinion.

It's really rare that I absolutely love a story but completely dislike the main characters. This is one of them. I just don't understand how somebody can be so insanely stupid and yet intelligent at the same time. I think I'm being harsh. I get it. She led a sheltered life. However, she comes across as entitled and entirely selfish and spoiled. I can say that this book shows promise that she's starting to calm down a bit. That's a good sign.

Like the first book, this book was also narrated by Moira Quirk. She really did a fantastic job. I took the liberty of looking up other titles by her. She narrates for some pretty interesting titles. I will be doing what I can to obtain and listen to some more books narrated by her. She's not a favorite yet, but she has great potential. I will say that. She's lovely.

I really enjoyed this book. I enjoyed the first book as well. I may not really care for the main characters and feel like the rest of the characters could use a bit more of a role in the books, but the books are highly enjoyable. Picture a Stephanie Plum but back in the early 1900s. Well, if Stephanie Plum wound up as a police matron instead of a bounty hunter and if she was born blue blooded.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment