Friday, February 7, 2020

Review: The Secret Life of Anna Blanc

The Secret Life of Anna Blanc The Secret Life of Anna Blanc by Jennifer Kincheloe
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Anna Blanc is about to elope to a man she adores. She's caught by the police. The marriage is annulled. She finds herself back in her father's home constantly being supervised by chaperones. Somehow she manages to sneak away and lie her way into a position with the police station. She tries her best to solve a crime that nobody else is paying attention to and maintain her secret.

I really did love the idea behind this story. It was very well thought out. There are so many things I want to gush about. I'm not even sure where to begin. There were also a few things that I just didn't care for. I love that it stuck true to the norms of the time era in which the story takes place. I wanted to fact check a few things, but I didn't bother. It's a fictional novel. It can have luxuries of embellishment if they exist.

My biggest issue with this story is Anna Blanc herself. I just really couldn't stand her. It's like she was intended to act like Scarlett O'Hara. It's just that she didn't quite pull lit off. While O'Hara was impossible, she actually listened to others. And her logic was easy to decipher. Anna Blanc is all over the place. I mean there are some things that I agreed with her on, but I stress the SOME. The other characters were interesting, but most weren't around for me to get a proper read on.

This book was narrated by Moira Quick. She had a very pleasant voice. Her voice acting was very well. I felt like she did her best to match the time period she was reading about. It added to the story in my opinion. I'm having problems finding anything negative to say about her narration. I would definitely love to hear other books narrated by her.

I really did enjoy this book. It may not have been a favorite for me, but I'm still willing to reread it again if the opportunity presents itself. The narration was inspiring and the writing was great. I'd of liked to see the main character's attitude get an adjustment, but it is a series. So it's possible that it might happen in the next few books. I'm curious to read the rest.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment