Monday, February 17, 2020

Review: Winterdream

Winterdream Winterdream by Chantal Gadoury
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

It's Christmas Eve. Clara is enjoying the Christmas Ball that her parents always put together. This one is different because her best friend has gotten engaged. She knows that soon becoming engaged will be expected of her as well. The night is interrupted by a dramatic entrance by her great uncle. He gives her a gift that changes everything. It leads her to a whole new world where everybody is counting on her to break a spell.

I have to be honest, I have never actually read The Nutcracker. If it was read to me, I was too young to remember it fully. I did see it every year in theatre as a child. It was and will always remain one of my favorite plays of all time. I loved the story. I loved the rendition. I was ecstatic to find out that this was a retelling! I was curious to see where they would take the story. I could cry with happiness! The beginning starts out almost entirely like the original story. I stress almost.

Clara was a beautiful soul. She was born into aristocracy, but she remained humble and kind. It was beautiful. She was actually a refreshing change to a character I've endured recently, but that's for another place and time. I loved all the characters in the book. Even the ones that were not that great. I mean they are the biggest reason we read these stories. We enjoy the conflict! They bring the conflict! Also, I will never look at a Nutcracker the same way. We have a collection here.

This book was narrated by Anne Marie Lewis. She did a very impressive job for the most part. There were times she made some of the people sound a bit robotic and stiff. I think for some of them that were done on purpose. I can't be sure. I especially think she designed the Prince's voice to sound like that as he was a Nutcracker. Either way, I really enjoyed her narration!

I feel like I should have had some anxieties going into this story. Especially since it's retelling one of my favorite plays of all time. I didn't. I was more thrilled than anything. I mean I'm constantly seeing Disney Princess retellings. I would love to see retellings from other stories as well! This was told so beautifully. It's hard not to just want to listen to the very end!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment