Saturday, November 2, 2019

Review: A Gentleman in Moscow

A Gentleman in Moscow A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Count Alexander Rostov has shamed himself by writing a very controversial poem. As punishment, he is placed on house arrest in a hotel he is living at currently. If he leaves the hotel ever, he will be shot and killed for his actions.

I really enjoyed this book. I have been wanting to read it for a long time. So when it became a book club book, I was very excited. When I first started the book, I wasn't fully impressed. I found it a bit dry. I read the first three hundred pages before I decided to switch to an audiobook. I was so impressed with the narrator, that I started the book over again to hear it all.

The characters were so amazing. Especially our dear Count Rostov. I had a suspicion about something when the book first started with how he worded things. I was pleased to say I was correct. I was shocked to find I was the only one who picked up on it. I do wish there were some characters that had more of a role in the story, but I adored them all.

Nicholas Guy Smith is a very wonderful narrator. I really adored him. Once I had gotten past the beginning, I did start enjoying the story. It's a very slow start, but worth it if you keep going. Smith enhances the story even further. He has quite a sophisticated voice about him as well. I would definitely listen to other books he narrates as well.

I really did enjoy this book. I really didn't like the way it ended. Well, I didn't hate it either. I just preferred a different way to end it. That comes out bad as well. It's not that ending was bad. It just left more questions for me than I was comfortable for an ending of a book. This is not a happy go lucky story. It's not a heavy story either. It definitely warrants attention.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment