Saturday, November 9, 2019

Review: Flight of the Sparrow

Flight of the Sparrow Flight of the Sparrow by Amy Belding Brown
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Loosely based on a true story. Mary's world is turned upside down when her village is attacked and she and her children are taken hostage. She loses many loved ones during the attack. As she's held captive, she slowly realizes that things she believed to be true don't seem to be as they appeared. She begins to question her own beliefs and ways of life.

I really enjoyed this story. I adore history so reading things historical is a joy to me. Especially if it's based on a true event even just a little. I feel it encourages me to want to read and research about the event. Sadly, I seem to never be able to find the time. Maybe I'll make a list and slowly chip away at all the research I want to do. This was very well written. It does have a bit of a slow start, but I believe that was done on purpose.

Giving my opinions on characters in a book that's based on true stories and people seems weird to me. Especially if I do not know much about the people that the story is based on. So, I will stick my opinions to the characters in the story itself and leave it at that to the best of my ability. I really adored Mary. I feel like I would have been Mary in those days. I wish I had seen more of her children in the book. There were people that I just couldn't stand at all.

Overall, I really enjoyed this book. I can't lie, I didn't think I would like the book at first. I was getting very annoyed with the characters and I was getting annoyed with the story itself. I do have to say that there are a few parts that get a bit too graphic and aren't for the faint-hearted. There were parts that made me cringe and I read pretty heavy and graphic stuff sometimes. It was still a wonderful and thought-provoking novel that I enjoyed very much.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment