Sunday, January 26, 2020

Review: The Darkest Minds

The Darkest Minds The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Ruby's life is normal until a virus gets out and changes the world as everyone knows it for good. Many children are developing psychic powers. Some more dangerous than others. Some of the children are unexpectedly dying. Ruby finds herself going to a camp on her tenth birthday. Where she remains until something happens in her favor.

While I enjoyed this book very much, I don't feel like it meets the hype that I've heard about it. I don't know how to explain that. I just expected something completely different. In a way, I'm kind of glad to be wrong. So, I don't really see this as a bad thing. There's nothing wrong with that. It definitely made a very interesting read. I really enjoyed it a lot. I'm looking forward to watching the movie adaptation of it.I'm a little nervous too if I'm being honest.

I really liked Ruby. I got where she was coming from. I just felt that she was a bit robotic at times. She made choices in the book that I did not agree with at all! My heart did go out to her for the pain and guilt she felt over things she couldn't control. I definitely loved Zu, Chubs, and Liam. I did find the communications between the four of them a little disturbing. In places they could have communicated better and compared notes, they didn't. They just acted like the responses of the other person was weird.

I wound up listening to this in audiobook. I bought a box set of the books, but I realized I had the audiobook for it. I noticed that the narrator was Amy McFadden. She narrated The Paper Magician series. I listened to those books and enjoyed her narration very much. The name seems very familiar to me, but I can't really place why I would know it. Either way, she's talented.

I'm so glad that I have finally gotten the time to read this book. I enjoyed it very much! I can't wait to read the rest of the series. I'm also excited to find a way to watch the movie. I'll definitely be writing up a review of the movie once I'm able to watch it.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment