Friday, January 3, 2020

Review: Apollo's Raven

Apollo's Raven Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

King Amren is cursed by his ex-wife at her execution. Years later, it's discovered that his youngest daughter is the one the curse is referring to. His son that he disowned has also come back around to cause chaos and try to remove him from the throne. Together, the King and his daughter must work together to discover who they can trust and who they can't.

I really did enjoy this book very much. I can't say I was in love with it. There were many aspects that left a lot to be desired. I may or may not continue to to read the series. It depends on my reading schedule really. I have a lot of books on my reading pile to tackle. The book had a lot of potential. This book speaks of sex, but there are not many fully erotic scenes. Sex does happen twice in the book, but it doesn't really get fully detailed.

I really wanted to like the characters of this book. I tried very hard. Especially the daughter. She was passionate. I found myself relating to her in many ways. There's just a disconnect with the characters that I can't really explain. I think a lot of the characters should have had a bigger role in the books than they did. I didn't dislike any of the characters. I just had no real feelings at all.

I got a really good deal on the audiobook since I owned an ebook, so I decided to give it a shot. It was narrated by Kristin James. I really enjoyed her narration, but she wasn't really consistent. She gave characters a certain accent in part of the book and a different one in another part of the book. It wasn't really confusing. It just was a little weird for me. She also used accents of places that weren't really referenced in the book. At least to my hearing. I will say that I find that it may be possible this is a good reason why I wasn't as enthused about the book itself.

All in all, I can't say I really hated the book. I can't say it will be included in my favorite reads at the end of the year. There's a small chance I may read it again or continue the series. I will see how I feel in the future. I can say that I really enjoyed the cover very much. It does add a bit of a lure to the story itself.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment