Wednesday, January 22, 2020

Review: The Clockmaker's Daughter

The Clockmaker's Daughter The Clockmaker's Daughter by Kate Morton
My rating: 0 of 5 stars

While preparing for her wedding, Elodie stumbles upon something at work that reminds her of stories that she heard in childhood. Doing some digging, she discovers that the stories her mother used to tell her before she passed away may have been built around a mystery that happened over a hundred years before her time. A mystery involving a thief and an artist and a robbery gone wrong.

I really enjoyed this book. This is the second Kate Morton book that I have read. Both of them were very beautifully written. They are both very sad books. I'm not going to lie. It's like she goes out of her way to make a happy ending book that's laced with sorrow. It's not really a bad thing. It definitely makes you think. It also gives a big air of realism.

There are many characters in the book. Including the ghost of a model who passed away in Birchwood Manor. I loved her parts in the book the best. I loved how observant she was of everybody who came into the manor over the years after she passed away. She even kept up with technology by observing people. It was impressive. Elodie was a very nice person, but it felt like she was going through the motion in most of the book. I can relate to that, but it's still sad.

Joanne Froggatt was the narrator of this book. I'm recalling the name from memory. I hope I didn't spell it wrong. She did a pretty impressive job. I only had one issue, but it was more personal preference than it was an actual problem with the book. I feel like she could have changed her tone influx for the time era changes. Again, this is just a personal preference.

I knew I'd enjoy this book from the moment I got it. The cover is gorgeous. The description pulled me in. After reading The Forgotten Garden, I had a feeling it would be a beautifully tragic story. I was not wrong at all. It's definitely worth the read. I'm glad I took the chance reading it.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment