Saturday, May 9, 2020

Review: Dead Ever After

Dead Ever After Dead Ever After by Charlaine Harris
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Sookie's world is turned upside down when she discovers that her former best friend who tried to kill her, Arlene, has been released from prison. She's even more shocked when Arlene comes in looking for a job. Doing her best to keep her cool, she turns her down and tells her that she doesn't think it's a good idea that they are near each other. She's shocked to find Arlene murdered and left in the dumpster in the back of Merlotte's. The evidence points to Sookie. If that isn't enough, she is struggling to figure out where the relationship with her and Eric is going. Every day it looks more and more like it's over.
I'm really sad that this series is over. I get it though. I mean it's kind of obvious in this book and a few others that the author was just over writing it. The story had run its course in her eyes. Which is totally okay. It happens. Rather stop it when it's still good than keep it dragging when she's not happy writing it. I appreciate that in more ways than I can explain. I do wish I could have seen more of something that happens in this book. I know this isn't a popular opinion, but I really didn't care about the relationship between Eric and Sookie. I mean I get they both loved and cared about each other, but I don't feel like they were ever in love. I don't feel like what they had for each other was really enough to stay together. I guess that's kind of obvious but yeah.
This book was narrated by Johanna Parker. The entire series was narrated by her. I was so impressed with her narration in the first book that I wound up buying all of them to listen to just to hear her voice. I have them all in ebook. I was more than content to read them, but I was buddy reading and fell behind on the first book. The rest is history. I guess in the end, getting behind did me a favor.
I have really loved this series so much. This is technically my second time around reading the series. The first time around I didn't read them in order and I couldn't remember where I left off. This time, I read them in order and read the books that I never had a chance to read. I'm so glad that I did. I will most likely read them again in the future. This is one of my favorite series of all time. I suppose now that I'm done reading the series that it's time to give True Blood a chance.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment